- Opted for the mini size. Less cutting. Less piecing. Less trimming….
- Used fabric from my stash
- Easy instructions (thanks Megan and Jeni!)
- Good community over in the flickr group
Not so good:
- Meh, I really don’t like half-square triangles. yeesh.
- My binding isn’t really all that great. oops.
Since this is a wall hanging, I used plain, bleached muslin for the quilt back. I figured since noone was really going to see it, I didn’t need to get all fancy schmancy with the backing fabric. And it doesn’t really look that bad. Makes for a nice, easy way to label the quilt. See, I signed it!
I approached this as a skill builder, and build skills I did. I tried to pay extra attention to the details – cutting, piecing and stitching – to make sure the quilt top came together nicely. I, ah, didn’t do such a great job paying attention to the details as I pieced a block wrong. Ooops! Fortunately it was an easy fix.
The binding was a bit tricky, and I don’t think it looks all that great. I might try something different next time. I made straight grain, double fold binding. I machine stitched the binding, whereas I usually do half by hand. Since the back was going to be hidden, I didn’t much care how it looked on the back.
The quilting is fun. I free motion quilted angular blocks up and down and all around. I did this on my wonky star quilt and I loved how it looked. I knew I’d do the same for this. And I still love it.
This was a lot of fun. It was fun catching up with other QAL peeps via the flickr group. I got some nice, encouraging comments on my works in progress photos. Such nice people on the internet!
I’m happy with this mini and I’m happy to hang it in my sewing space.