Not exactly happy with my usual quilt basting technique – using a shit ton of curved safety pins – I’m experimenting. For my mom’s quilt, I tried thread basting. And I didn’t really like it all that much. Let me be more specific, I didn’t really like how long it took. The end result was a really smooth quilt sandwich and zero puckers while quilting. To be fair, it really is a nice technique.
For JJ’s quilt, I’m trying Leah Day’s basting method of using long straight pins and Pinmoors. I took Leah’s Free Motion Quilting class via Craftsy awhile back, which is where I learned her technique. Except, I don’t have any Pinmoors. And they are kinda pricey. And I didn’t want to wait for an online order to arrive. So I improvised. I had to buy batting and fabric for the back of the quilt, and while I was at Joann’s I grabbed a sheet of 3mm thick (the thickest I found) craft foam. I sliced the sheet into approximately 1/2″ squares and threw them into a pyrex dish.
To be honest, I got lazy with this quilt. I just didn’t want to crawl around on the floor to baste it! I did smooth the top and batting together on the floor, but for the actual pin basting, I used my dining table. The pins and my diy-pinmoors work well. Its quick and cheap. I didn’t secure the quilt back like I should have – it is a bit loose as I’m finding out while quilting. It really should be tight and smooth before basting. That’s what I get for being lazy – crap product! Except that JJ really won’t know. He’s just excited to have his very own quilt.
I quilted a few rows already and its holding up ok. Compared to thread basting, this technique is faster. And holds up just as well. Its only been held together for a few days, but my foam pin tips are doing well so far. Truthfully, at $1.49 for a metric shit ton of these foam squares, my expectations are quite low.
I’ll let you know how it works out.